Home Forums Chat Do-it-all Bike

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of miketually miketually 4 days ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jeff
    jeff

Do you think there could be one bike that could replace a few rigs in your stable? Could you really find something to take the place of your ‘cross bike, mountain bike, road bike and commuter? If so, what do you think it would look like? What frame material would you want? Let’s hear what you think would be the one-size-fits-all-conditions bike!

Profile photo of stickymitts
    stickymitts
    Participant

Just bought a Salsa Vaya, which is coming close to ticking all the boxes. I’m still going to keep a full sus mtb but the hard tail and road bike are going.
    The Vaya is comfy, has a good range of gears, powerful brakes, tyres that can cope with a bit of muck and can take any luggage you need. I’ve upgraded the shifters to 105 but that’s all. I love it already!
    I’d paste a picture but not sure how!
    So here’s a link instead. .
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya/2015_vaya_3/build_kit/

Profile photo of jamjon
    jamjon
    Participant

I commute, race, ride road, ride off-road on my cross bike. It’s my do it all bike.

BUT…. it doesn’t replace my MTB at all. I can, and have, ridden trail centres on cross bikes but it just isn’t anywhere near as much fun as a good MTB. And I wouldn’t dream of doing an uplift on a cross bike.

So I’m happy with a relatively cheap cross bike and a MTB (or two) in my garage!

Profile photo of cakebikecake
    cakebikecake

Surely it depends on what you want to do with it?

Whilst yes one bike can do loads of things it won’t necessarily be the best. Whilst I train on my race CX bike and go to the shops on it for bread and milk, it’s far from the best utility bike, but it’s a good race / CX training bike. It’ll cope with the bridleways but, it’s rigid and therefore makes stone-like descending beyond my bravery / capabilities.

I’m of the right tools for the job school of thought – I’m from a time trialling background originally, making the move from a road bike to a TT bike worked wonders for my times as it was the right tool for the job.

That said, a big hammer fixes everything! 🙂

Profile photo of gregmay
    gregmay
    Participant

For me, if I had to only keep one bike *shudder*, I’d keep my Ti Fargo.

I’ve rode it extensively as a MTB.
    I’ve rode it at a cross race.
    I rode it around Cuba as a touring bike.
    I rode it for a gravel is rig.
    I’ve used it as a road bike.

But, it has it’s limitations, mainly in geometry when it gets really steep. Currently experimenting with B+ on it to see what comes of it.

For me the only bike that looks like it’d be close is the new Salsa Warbird. Sure i’d have less clearance for tyres – up to 44mm – but I could still ride it like a mini rigid MTB on some local trails.

Profile photo of jeff
    jeff

I think it does come down to the fact that, obviously, one bike can’t be the best road bike AND the best mountain bike. But something that intersects all disciplines, by being able to hit some aspects of each. A cyclocross is a great choice, but would a ‘gravel’ bike be closer to everything?

Profile photo of sanny
    sanny
    Participant

I could go down to two bikes. A Kinesis Tripster with wide tyres for off road speed and a full sus fat bike for proper off road silliness. The Tripster is just ace! It’s one of those bikes that could make you get rid of the rest of the stable!

cakebikecake

Or this perhaps (note it’s only in post delivery test set-up at the moment, dialling in still ongoing), it’s Ti… CBCX

Profile photo of sanny
    sanny
    Participant

That looks ace!

cakebikecake

It is, super fun with race geometry!

Profile photo of richellicott
    richellicott
    Participant

I’ll agree with the first comment about the Salsa Vaya. Had one for 2 and bit years now and absolutely love it.
    I take it around Llandegla and the surrounding areas, commute on it, road rides with the local shop, it just works everywhere except proper off road trails – which is where the full sus comes back out.

But if I had to have one bike to rule them all it would be my Vaya!

Profile photo of jamjon
    jamjon
    Participant

I think Sanny has it. Two bikes – cx and mtb of some sort. (Mind you, if I could get rid of my old Klein, the wrecked full sus, the rarely used used wife’s bike,* the kids’s bikes, then I’d have space for more choice!)

*the bike is rarely used. As for the wife.. 😀

Profile photo of tang
    tang
    Participant

heres mine
    bike

Custom 853/ENVE/King/Astute tubeless running a lindarets road link for 11-40, hope 40t. Can take big tyres too.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Profile photo of tang tang.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Profile photo of tang tang.
    Profile photo of steath72
    steath72
    Participant

I have been wondering something similar recently (again!).
    About 10 years ago, as I was converting from being an MTBer to a roadie, I was wondering whether drop bars on a rigid MTB would work. I could just about keep up on the club run if I used Slick 26″ tyres with my flat bars, but it would have been better with something narrower (it was SS too). I should have built it I would have been way ahead of the curve!!
    I am now wondering if it would be possible to build up a gravel type frame that would also be suitable for a bit of TTing? With 3 sets of wheels it really would be a ‘One Bike, Do Everything’ machine!!

Profile photo of steath72
    steath72
    Participant

Just to update…

I have gone for a very special ‘cross bike. I’m going to run 2 different wheels ETS, one for road, one for off-road. I’m feeling pretty keen to try out ‘cross racing this winter, it will make a change to blasting up & down dual carriageways….

Profile photo of miketually
    miketually
    Participant

Singular Swift with some smart component choices and a couple of sets of wheels and bars?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.