Home Forums Bike GRIT.CX Issue 1 UPDATE

This topic contains 22 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  mark 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author

mark
    Participant

Yeah, it’s late. It’s a week late now and it’s likely to be a few more days yet.
    The issue is a technical one – Jeff has had all the lovely words and pictures in hand, subbed, edited and ready for layout for weeks now. In fact it’s all been laid out and designed too. The issue is with an ever decreasing (thankfully) list of bugs in the way the app displays the content. We are very close to being happy with it and the app part of the system is being submitted to Apple for approval today. So, if you have subscribed then please accept our apologies for the delay – we are very close now and we hope you will agree that it is worth the wait when it finally arrives on your device.
    In the meantime, if you have subscribed already then something nice will be arriving in the post to you in the next few days as a thank you. In fact for the time being all new subscribers will be receiving a unique gift in the post.

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by  mark.

jamjon
    Participant

Thanks for the update, Mark.

Does the sub run for a calendar year or 4 issues? As in, I started my sub on 26th September, so if it runs for 365 days and you are a week or more late with each issue then I’m possibly not going to receive the fourth issue.

(Does that make sense at all?)

Looking forward to my free gift but I can’t remember giving an adress when I subscribed?

mark
    Participant

Yes, I understand your concern. Ultimately, we won’t let anyone be disadvantaged by our delays. Your sub is for a year and includes all issues we publish in that period. At the moment the plan is to publish 4 issues that will be 6 weeks apart through the next 6 months. But there may be more through the spring and summer and if that’s the case those issues will be included in your sub.

In effect, your sub gets you a year of access to anything and everything that we do and publish for subscribers. That includes the subscriber exclusive features that are being rolled out on our website. You will already have noticed that as a subscriber you get the ad free version of the site, but there will be a lot more functionality coming very soon that will all be available to you as a subscriber.

It’s easiest to think of your sub not in terms of a traditional magazine subscription but in terms of the website, that includes the magazine.

jamjon
    Participant

Cool, thanks.

nemesis
    Participant

So same question (which I think you’ve kind of answered) – I’ve got a one month sub. I guess that assuming that the mag isn’t a whole month late, that’ll still be ok then.

mark
    Participant

Yes, you will be fine. The app is in the hands of Apple now. We are just waiting for the all clear from them now.

Even if it did take longer than your month we’d extend your sub for you to make sure you get it.

rollingstone
    Participant

What about those with non apple devices? Are we still delayed too?

mark
    Participant

Yes, I’m afraid so. The system we use publishes Android apps at the same time as iOS.

mark
    Participant

OK, so this is frustrating now. We are waiting for Apple to pass judgement. They have rejected our app twice now because it seems they don’t really understand what we are doing – or trying to do.
    Our app is designed to allow you access to the issues once you have subscribed here on our site. The simple reason for this is that it’s much easier for us to allow you access to the app issues once you are in our database. The app simply takes your login details for your account here on the site and contacts our database and checks if you are ‘on the list’. A simple yes or no system. It works really well.
    But apple don’t like this because you are giving us your money and not them. Apple takes 30% of every in app purchase and by having you subscribe here on the site they are missing out on their cut. The problem is that if we introduce in app purchasing of a subscription then that simple yes no system becomes much more complex. Apple won’t pass customer details on to us as the app owner/publisher. This creates the obvious problem of how do we let you through the paywall on our site here to get to your account details and the rest of the extras we include in your subs package? It’s possible to build a system that works that way round but it’s far more complicated and expensive. And at the end of it all we lose 30% to Apple for a more complex system.
    We are currently trying to convince Apple that their pressure to force us to implement in app purchasing is not in ours or your interests but it’s an incredibly slow process. We could be hours away from app launch or weeks – We are waiting for Apple.
    If you have subscribed and are waiting then we humbly apologise.

bikeandy61
    Participant

Sadly Mark “force us to implement in app purchasing is not in ours or your interests but it’s an incredibly slow process.” – is a problem that won’t go away. As you say not in your or our interest BUT not in Apple’s so why should they budge? I can’t see how you win this one other than complying or starting from scratch with a totally new (non-Apple) system. Best of luck.

rollingstone
    Participant

Is there anyway of releasing the system, so for those of us who chose not to go Apple, can benefit?

mark
    Participant

We are looking into alternatives including publishing the articles in issue 1 here on the website in the Premier area for subscribers. But it could all be sorted in a day or two if Apple accept our latest app revision.

jimmers
    Participant

Hi, just received an email regarding a refund for the subscription. Does this mean the release of the mag / app is put on hold until further notice?

Got a new CX bike and can’t wait to read some related material!

Thanks,

James

mark
    Participant

Hi James,

The app is still in the ‘Waiting for review’ stage at Apple. It’s been ready since the beginning of the month but Apple are taking their sweet time about it. Issue 1 is just sat waiting for someone in California to say ‘yes’. I apologise for the delay and in light of that delay we have decided it’s unfair for the monthly payment plan subscribers to have to pay for a second month before their first issue has arrived and so Sarah is refunding them as they renew until the app is finally launched.

jimmers
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the update.

bikeandy61
    Participant

Thanks for the update, refund and Cowbell guys. Feel for you, must be VERY frustrating. All the best.

mark
    Participant

It will all come out in the wash 🙂

In case anyone is interested in the details the problem we are having is with the inclusion (or not in our case) of in App purchasing. By this I mean the ability to buy a copy of the mag in the app using your iTunes account. We very purposefully are not including that option in our app and Apple are not that happy about it.

The reason we are not including in app purchasing is because the App is just one part of your subscription. It also includes your access to this site and the Premier features. Ad free browsing, access to subscriber only stories, your own web space for your own stories etc. To be able to control the access to all those features we need to have your details in our own database. If you purchase your sub here that’s easy. We collect everything we need when you sign up. However, if you subscribe via Apple they don’t pass on any of your details to us. We can’t give you access to the subscriber only areas and content if we don’t know who you are. The Apple way would mean we wouldn’t be able to send you a bell once you have signed up as we wouldn’t have your address.

Of course there are workarounds. We could include the data collection details in the app itself and have the app transit that to our servers but an even simpler method is to just have the same starting point for everyone, right here on our site. And that’s what we have done. But since this means Apple don’t get their 30% of your cash they are causing us a few issues that is delaying the app appearing in the App store. They have forced us to remove all links from the App back to our website. They have forced us to remove any reference to where you can go to subscribe. This means that anyone who stumbles on the App may wonder what they have to do to be able to get a username and password to unlock the issues. They may wonder why we don’t just tell them in the App. We’d like to but Apple don’t want us to do that.

But, we’ve made the changes that Apple want now. In fact we made those changes over a week ago. Our App is now sat in a list waiting for approval. The current waiting time on app approval is 9 days. I’m hoping that means approval should happen in the next few days. I will keep you updated and once again, we are all frustrated and we are all sorry for making you wait.

mark
    Participant

Good news!
    We have app approval! This means the publish to app store button is now available to us. However, we are just going to spend today making some last minute tweaks – akin to running around with the hoover before the guests arrive for your party 🙂

Standby!

jamjon
    Participant

Great news!

You do realise that Issue 1 is out of date now though – things change so quickly in the fast moving cyclocross world. 😀

ben33cox
    Participant

How are we going with the Issue 1 release – where will i find it on the site or will i be pinged to inform me and follow a link?
    many thanks

Ben

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.