Home Forums Bike How to train for cross

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mpower 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

mpower
    Participant

I have a gravel bike. Looking at training to ride CX races. Would riding trails be good training. My closet trail is Cannock Chase.

Currently working on overall fitness with running and weights.

Any help or advice for overweight female appreciated

๐Ÿ™‚

garyrp
    Participant

Riding at Cannock will definitely help. There’s a WMCCL cross race on part of the trail most years. But take care on the technical sections. Some parts are tricky on a cross or gravel bike. I suggest you dismount and run those, which is good training for cross anyway.

Weights and running are also good prep. I suggest you make your runs more specific as the cross season approaches – i.e. short fast runs off-road with some banks and ditches included.

However, you also need to practice your cross skills. These include dismounting and remounting on the run; riding up, down and across steep banks, and cornering in slippy conditions. The best way to do that is to attend some special coaching. Several clubs in the West Midlands hold such sessions in the late Summer and early Autumn. Try to find one that does and then join it. You should get all the support you need to enjoy cross racing that way.

And read my grit.cx blog posts. ๐Ÿ™‚

mpower
    Participant

Wow! Thank you so much for the fantastic reply. I will look into clubs as well.

You’re a blooming star ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.