Home Forums Chat What pedals?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of adamtaylor adamtaylor 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of darrenhowe
    darrenhowe
    Participant

So I’m looking to get a CX bike and give it a go, but what pedals would people recommend? Coming from a mostly MTB background I mostly prefer flats with pins, although I do run Shimano trail SPDs on my road bike and my 29er hardtail.
    Is there such a thing as flat pedals for a CX bike, or do most people just dive straight in with cleats?

Profile photo of adamtaylor
    adamtaylor
    Participant

I think most people would just use go straight into SPDs but it depends what kind of riding you plan to do.

If you want to race, you’re definitely going to encounter some absolute mudfests and I would not want to do that without being clipped in for extra push/pull.

On the other hand, if you’re just looking to go exploring then I’d say use what you feel most comfortable with.

I’ve only used cheap Shimano SPDs and they have been absolutely fine. They seem to be bomb proof, require no maintenance and the cleats last forever: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvIO_BRDt27qG3YX0w4wBEiQAsGu3eQfDRGbAFGjvZmpuaYpzLOZ6tfEOOleBs8pophfrbnUaAs4a8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I love the look of Crank Brother pedals but I’ve never used them.

Profile photo of darrenhowe
    darrenhowe
    Participant

Thanks Adam. Yeah, I probably just need to get over my fear of stalling on a climb or losing control on a descent and not being able to unclip in time. Just need to ease in gently and build up confidence, ,I guess.
    I’ve got a pair of Crank Bros Candy’s knocking around somewhere in the bike shed. Probably as good a place as any to start.

Profile photo of adamtaylor
    adamtaylor
    Participant

You’ll be amazed how quickly you can unclip! Mind you, I do bail out a bit early on really tough climbs through fear of falling. Need to practice more to get over that one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.