Site Terms & Conditions
Grit.cx is intended to be a friendly place where all cyclists, both experienced and not so experienced can visit and chat, read, joke, debate, ask questions and generally hang out.
Generally the visitors to the website are adults but there are no age restrictions. That freedom demands a level of self moderation from its users. Please remember that bad language and discussion of certain topics can and does cause offence. Essentially if you post anything that is intended to cause offence then expect to have it deleted and possibly have your account suspended.
In short, think twice about posting anything that you wouldn’t be prepared to say face to face.
Please have respect for other forum users and refrain from bad language and abusive postings.
What topics are suitable for discussion?
We have two discussion forums and a classified ad forum.
- Topics on the Bike forum should be restricted to discussion about bikes. A non exhaustive list of allowed topics include, bikes, components, rides, biking holidays, travel, mags…. Without stating the bleeding obvious we will assume you get the idea.
- Topics on the Chat Forum can be about anything that doesn’t belong on the Bike Forum. Politics, general chat, current affairs, latest movies, big brother, the price of fish.. Again, we think you get the idea.
- The forum can be used for getting rides and friends together, but is not a personal message board. Please don’t clog it up with personal messages that can be sent by email.
- If you think a post is a deliberate troll, abusive, offensive or otherwise a bit naughty then don’t hesitate to email us at email@example.com and we’ll have a look. We can’t guarantee we’ll agree with you but at least we’ll be aware of any infringements to other members’ sensibilities.
- If you notice that a post has been moderated and after reading this page you are still unclear as to why, then please email us directly and we will try to explain our decision. DO NOT post your request for a reason on the forum as we have found that this just provokes needless argument. Any such requests posted on the forum will be removed without comment.
By posting to our forum, legally we (Gofar Enterprises Ltd) are considered to have published your comments – That’s why we sometimes have to remove posts that could cause us potential legal problems. Please don’t be offended if this happens to you, but please also note that you could also be held personally liable for your comments. As the publisher we reserve the right to reproduce, quote, reference or use any comments posted on our forums or elsewhere on the website, in any way we see fit to promote the business of Singletrack Magazine and it’s websites. After all you may write some words of genius that we want to share with all our readers . We will ensure that if we do use your posts in this way that we use them as so far as is possible within the context that they were intended by the poster. In other words we won’t deliberately use them to misrepresent you or the opinion that you have expressed. This is technically referred to as a Non-Exclusive Universal Licence to use your content and by agreeing to these terms you are granting us such a licence when it comes to content you post on our website.
You have the opportunity to edit your posts up to 15 minutes after you have posted them. After this time all posts are recorded as part of the historical record/archive of the site and we reserve the right to retain them as such or to use them in anyway we choose subject to the assurances we have given above.
Uploading of images: You agree that by uploading images to your profile or to be posted in forums, stories or otherwise as we may make available to you through the features and functions of our sites, that you hold all relevant rights to publish such images. In so far as is possible in law you agree to indemnify us against any possible action resulting from your use of any images that you upload to our servers.
In other words, make sure you have the rights to use any images that you upload to our servers. We
In addition to the above guidelines we have a limited number of hard and fast rules that you should familiarise yourself with before posting on any of our forums.
- No posts of a sexual nature, including images of a sexual nature or intended to provoke a sexual response.
- No Trade or business advertising – except bona fide retailers may respond to genuine enquiries from potential customers.
- Usernames or names displayed in forum threads or story comments may not be used to criticise individuals or companies and are subject to the same rules as for any other post or comment on the site. Where a username is in breach of this rule the account will be deleted or the username altered by a moderator.
- No posts which, in the Moderators opinion, are likely to cause offence to either an individual, or group, whatever their gender, sexual inclination or ethnicity.
- No posts, including links to other sites that are deemed to be of a sexual or distasteful nature, incite racial or sexist behaviour or are in any way discriminatory and/or offensive towards individuals or minority groups.
- No abusive or foul language – There is a swear filter on the site that will capture what we consider to be the most offensive vocabulary but any attempt to evade this swear filter will result in that post or thread being deleted. Repeat offenders will be banned. Our swear filter is not exhaustive and the moderators reserve the right to moderate any language regardless of its inclusion or otherwise in the swear filter library.
- No posting of referral links and codes where the poster will benefit financially or otherwise
- No ‘Paging…’ threads. They only gum up the forum. If a user wants to be contacted their email address will be on their profile page.
- No posts which in the opinion of the moderators are solely intended to, or are likely to provoke or abuse any individual or group.
- No impersonation of any other poster, or use of another poster’s identity, including letting a banned user post via your account.
- Placing images on the forum requires you to link to the site where the image originated from. Read forum help for details on how to achieve this.
- Multiple accounts are not allowed. One member – One account. Users who are found to own more than one account may have ALL accounts deleted. At the very least the extra accounts will be deleted and the user’s remaining account will be suspended for at least 48 hours.
- The consequences of infringing these rules and guidelines are entirely at our discretion but will generally start with a 48 hour suspension from posting on the forum for which we may or may not give warnings or notify the user of their ban. In addition moderators may suspend any account for any reason they see fit at any time.
Negative use of the forum
It is our aim that the forum should have an overall positive effect on the mountain bikers that use it. Experience has shown us that certain individuals like to contribute simply to cause trouble. Technically these people are known as Trolls but like all negative elements in society they learn the rules and are quite cunning in their ability to stay just within the letter of the law and yet still manage to cause irritation to other users. So, to try and combat these negative forum users we reserve the right to suspend the accounts or remove the posts of anyone we consider to be a predominantly negative contributor to the forum.
- If your posts are persistently argumentative we will consider that a negative use of our forum.
- If you resort to abuse of other forum users we will consider that a negative use of our forum.
- If you post irrelevant posts to the topic in discussion we will consider this negative use of the forum.
- If in our opinion your contributions to the forum are predominantly off topic we will consider this negative use of the forum.
- In all these cases and in others we have not mentioned, we reserve the right to ban you for an unspecified time from the forum.
- Any attempt to circumvent any suspension by re-registering or using the account of another forum user could result in a lifetime ban from the forum.
Basically, if you respect the forum and your fellow cyclists who make use of it then you have nothing to fear.
Sanctions we may impose on rule breakers.
- We may just give you a warning via the topic you have posted on.
- We may contact you directly by email and ask you to behave
- We may suspend your account. This suspension will be for a limited period of time.
- For serious or persistent rule breakers we may ban you from posting to our website for an unlimited period of time.
Our policy on Ad Blocking
The ads in a very real sense do allow you to use this site for free. If the ads were not there earning us money for the time we spend keeping this site running then we simply would not bother with a website at all or we would severely strip it back to just being a promotion site for the mag. It simply would not be economically viable without the ads there.
Now, in light of that but also taking the pragmatic decision that the technology to block ads is out there and there is nothing we can do to prevent people from using it, we have decided that any threads posted on our forum that publicise or promote the removing of ads from this website are actually counterproductive to not just us but you as well. No ads, no site.
We ASK that you don’t act to remove the ads.. But it is just a request. But we WILL remove threads that promote the removal of the ads on our site and we WILL ban permanently any repeat offenders.
If you are Premier user, paying us money directly, then you can disable the ads since you are already paying your way.
So in summary. Install ad blockers if you want. but don’t discuss it on our forum. But please consider the importance of the ads to the future of this free to use website before you take any action to prevent the ads on this site from displaying in your browser.
Appropriate account details
Use of what we consider to be disposable email addresses or anonymous IP addresses may result in your account being blocked.
The approval of your account and it’s subsequent maintenance by us is conditional on you agreeing to abide by these rules and guidelines.
Subscriber Web Pages/Blogs
Terms, conditions, rules and being nice on your grit.cx blog page.
Before you publish anything you must read all of this and make sure you are very clear on what you can do with your newfound ability to publish the contents of your brain to the grit.cx website.
The exact same rules and terms apply to what you can publish on your own page as apply to what you can publish anywhere else on grit.cx ie. On the forum and in comments posted to stories.
You have to be nice. You have to be fair. You have to be legal.
We have to be careful because anything you publish has our name attached to it alongside yours and that means we reserve the right to edit what you post or even delete it if we deem that it has broken our publishing rules. Rule of thumb? Keep it fair and legal and all will be fine.
A word on uploading files and images or including images in your posts whether you have uploaded them or not. Only upload or include in your posts your own images or images that you have permission to use. If you upload or include in your posts, images that you don’t have permission to use and we are made aware of this by a third party we will remove them from your pages. Stealing other’s work is unacceptable and we won’t tolerate it.
Do not include links to illegal content or content that may harm the device of the reader.
But above all, remember that by submitting your post for publication on our site you are assigning to us (Gofar Enterprises ltd) a universal but non-exclusive right to use, distribute and modify your content. This may sound a little scary but what it really means is that we can remove it if we need to and we can publish it more widely if we think it’s worth it and it is in our interests to do so.
Remember, that with great power comes great responsibility and you now have the power to publish what is in your head on our website. We reserve the right to take this power away from you at any time for any reason that we see fit. Please take care and use that power responsibly. Be nice, be fair, be legal.
Now for the full on legal bits that you must also agree to. This section spells out in detail what the summary above is all about. By posting anything to your new grit.cx blog pages you are agreeing to all of the following conditions.
Terms of Service:
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using the Website. By accessing or using any part of the web site, you agree to become bound by the terms and conditions of this agreement. If you do not agree to all the terms and conditions of this agreement, then you may not access the Website or use any services. If these terms and conditions are considered an offer by Gofar Enterprises Ltd, acceptance is expressly limited to these terms. The Website is available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old.
- Your Grit.cx Account and Site. If you create a blog on the Website, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account and blog, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the blog. You must not describe or assign keywords to your blog in a misleading or unlawful manner, including in a manner intended to trade on the name or reputation of others, and Gofar Enterprises Ltd may change or remove any description or keyword that it considers inappropriate or unlawful, or otherwise likely to cause Gofar Enterprises Ltd liability. You must immediately notify Gofar Enterprises Ltd of any unauthorized uses of your blog, your account or any other breaches of security. Gofar Enterprises Ltd will not be liable for any acts or omissions by You, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
- Responsibility of Contributors. If you operate a blog, comment on a blog, post material to the Website, post links on the Website, or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available by means of the Website (any such material, “Content”), You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content. That is the case regardless of whether the Content in question constitutes text, graphics, an audio file, or computer software. By making Content available, you represent and warrant that:
o the downloading, copying and use of the Content will not infringe the proprietary rights, including but not limited to the copyright, patent, trademark or trade secret rights, of any third party;
o if your employer has rights to intellectual property you create, you have either (i) received permission from your employer to post or make available the Content, including but not limited to any software, or (ii) secured from your employer a waiver as to all rights in or to the Content;
o you have fully complied with any third-party licenses relating to the Content, and have done all things necessary to successfully pass through to end users any required terms;
o the Content does not contain or install any viruses, worms, malware, Trojan horses or other harmful or destructive content;
o the Content is not spam, is not machine- or randomly-generated, and does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites, or to further unlawful acts (such as phishing) or mislead recipients as to the source of the material (such as spoofing);
o the Content is not pornographic, does not contain threats or incite violence, and does not violate the privacy or publicity rights of any third party;
o your blog is not getting advertised via unwanted electronic messages such as spam links on newsgroups, email lists, other blogs and web sites, and similar unsolicited promotional methods;
o your blog is not presented in a manner that misleads your readers into thinking that you are another person or company; and
o you have, in the case of Content that includes computer code, accurately categorized and/or described the type, nature, uses and effects of the materials, whether requested to do so by Gofar Enterprises Ltd or otherwise.
By submitting Content to Gofar Enterprises Ltd for inclusion on your Website, you grant Gofar Enterprises Ltd a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting your blog.
You also give other Grit.cx users permission to share your Content on other Grit.cx sites and add their own Content to it (aka to reblog your Content), so long as they use only a portion of your post and they give you credit as the original author by linking back to your site
If you delete Content, Gofar Enterprises Ltd will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Website, unless it has been subsequently republished to our front page or otherwise reproduced elsewhere under the terms of the universal, royalty-free, non-exclusive license granted by you, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable.
Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, Gofar Enterprises Ltd has the right (though not the obligation) to, in Gofar Enterprises Ltd’s sole discretion (i) refuse or remove any content that, in Gofar Enterprises Ltd’s reasonable opinion, violates any Gofar Enterprises Ltd policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (ii) terminate or deny access to and use of the Website to any individual or entity for any reason, in Gofar Enterprises Ltd’s sole discretion. Gofar Enterprises Ltd will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.
- Payment and Renewal.
o General Terms.
Optional paid services. By selecting an Upgrade you agree to pay Gofar Enterprises Ltd the monthly or annual subscription fees indicated for that service. Payments will be charged on a pre-pay basis on the day you sign up for an Upgrade and will cover the use of that service for a monthly or annual subscription period as indicated. Upgrade fees are not refundable.
o Automatic Renewal.
Unless you notify Gofar Enterprises Ltd before the end of the applicable subscription period or disable the automatic renewal option in your member account settings, that you want to cancel any paid service offered by Gofar Enterprises ltd, your subscription will automatically renew and you authorize us to collect the then-applicable annual or monthly subscription fee for such (as well as any taxes) using any credit card or other payment mechanism we have on record for you. Subscriptions can be cancelled at any time in the user settings of your account dashboard.
- Responsibility of Website Visitors. Gofar Enterprises Ltd has not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, posted to the Website, and cannot therefore be responsible for that material’s content, use or effects. By operating the Website, Gofar Enterprises Ltd does not represent or imply that it endorses the material there posted, or that it believes such material to be accurate, useful or non-harmful. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. The Website may contain content that is offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable, as well as content containing technical inaccuracies, typographical mistakes, and other errors. The Website may also contain material that violates the privacy or publicity rights, or infringes the intellectual property and other proprietary rights, of third parties, or the downloading, copying or use of which is subject to additional terms and conditions, stated or unstated. Gofar Enterprises Ltd disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from the use by visitors of the Website, or from any downloading by those visitors of content there posted.
- Content Posted on Other Websites. We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and webpages to which Grit.cx links, and that link to Grit.cx. Gofar Enterprises Ltd does not have any control over those non-grit.cx websites and webpages, and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-grit.cx website or webpage, Gofar Enterprises Ltd does not represent or imply that it endorses such website or webpage. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. Gofar Enterprises Ltd disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-grit.cx websites and webpages.
- Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy. As Gofar Enterprises Ltd asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by Grit.cx violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify Gofar Enterprises Ltd in accordance with Gofar Enterprises Ltd’s Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) Policy. Gofar Enterprises Ltd will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. Gofar Enterprises Ltd will terminate a visitor’s access to and use of the Website if, under appropriate circumstances, the visitor is determined to be a repeat infringer of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of Gofar Enterprises Ltd or others. In the case of such termination, Gofar Enterprises Ltd will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to Gofar Enterprises Ltd.
- Intellectual Property. This Agreement does not transfer from Gofar Enterprises Ltd to you any Gofar Enterprises Ltd or third party intellectual property, and all right, title and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with Gofar Enterprises Ltd. Gofar Enterprises Ltd, WordPress, Grit.cx, the Grit.cx logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with Grit.cx, or the Website are trademarks or registered trademarks of Gofar Enterprises Ltd or Gofar Enterprises Ltd’s licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with the Website may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of the Website grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any Gofar Enterprises Ltd or third-party trademarks.
- Advertisements. Gofar Enterprises Ltd reserves the right to display advertisements on your blog
- Attribution. Gofar Enterprises Ltd reserves the right to display attribution links such as ‘Blog at Grit.cx,’ theme author, and font attribution in your blog footer or toolbar. Footer credits and the Grit.cx toolbar may not be altered or removed regardless of upgrades purchased.
- Changes. We are constantly updating our services, and that means sometimes we have to change the legal terms under which our services are offered. If we make changes that are material, we will let you know by posting on one of our blogs, or by sending you an email or other communication before the changes take effect. The notice will designate a reasonable period of time after which the new Terms will take effect. If you disagree with our changes, then you should stop using Grit.cx within the designated notice period. Your continued use of Grit.cx will be subject to the new Terms. However, any dispute that arose before the changes shall be governed by the Terms (including the binding individual arbitration clause) that were in place when the dispute arose.
- Termination. Gofar Enterprises Ltd may terminate your access to all or any part of the Website at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your Grit.cx account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using the Website. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
- Disclaimer of Warranties. The Website is provided “as is”. Gofar Enterprises Ltd and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither Gofar Enterprises Ltd nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that the Website will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, the Website at your own discretion and risk.
- Limitation of Liability. In no event will Gofar Enterprises Ltd, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to Gofar Enterprises Ltd under this agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. Gofar Enterprises Ltd shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
- Indemnification. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Gofar Enterprises Ltd, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of the Website, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
- Translation. These Terms of Service were originally written in English. We may translate these Terms into other languages. In the event of a conflict between a translated version of these Terms of Service and the English version, the English version will control.